Spring has officially sprung, and while spring cleaning is likely on your list, for many Phoenix homeowners, HVAC maintenance is not. Should it be? We are going to review some spring HVAC tips to help you prepare your HVAC system for the warmer weather and longer days ahead.
Spring HVAC Tips
The weather in Phoenix, Arizona can fluctuate in a heartbeat, and that means that your HVAC system should always be ready to tackle whatever is thrown its way. Regular cooling maintenance is an important part of extending the life and maximizing the efficiency of your air conditioner. Is your cooling unit up for the task? Preventive care will help diagnose problems and issues in your HVAC system before they become worse. Let’s review some spring HVAC tips to help you ensure you aren’t without AC when you need it.
- Schedule a cooling tune-up. We are going to start with the obvious and best way to prepare your HVAC system for spring, and that is with a professional cooling tune-up. During an AC tune-up parts of your system that you may not even know exist are inspected, cleaned, and replaced, if needed, by a professional. This can help to prevent unexpected breakdowns, increase energy efficiency, improve home comfort levels, extend the lifespan of your HVAC system, and more.
- Change your air filters. The air filter in your home’s HVAC system filters your home’s air. Air filters keep dust and pollen out and are also tasked with keeping larger particles and materials out of your HVAC system, in turn, saving your system from mutilation. Dirty, unchanged filters are a leading cause of issues with Phoenix, AZ HVAC systems. One of the best spring HVAC tips we have is for you to ensure your filters are up for the task. We recommend changing your air filter at least once every 30 days and the beginning of spring can serve as a great reminder to do so.
- Utilize your thermostat. The U.S. Department of Energy says you can save at least 10% a year on heating and cooling costs by having a programmable thermostat. By using a programmable thermostat, you can adjust the times you turn on the heating or air conditioning in your Phoenix home by having a pre-set schedule. It is suggested, in the warmer months, for the hours you’re away from home, program air conditioning to 78°F, and while home, set your thermostat at as high of a temperature as comfortably possible and ensure humidity control if needed. If you don’t have a programmable thermostat, now is a great time to invest in one.
- Maintain your ductwork and check for any leaks. The quality of your indoor environment greatly depends on the quality of your air ducts. Dirty, leaking, or blocked air ducts won’t just create air quality issues in your home, but it can also drive up your utility bills, and put your HVAC system at a greater risk of an unexpected breakdown. Having dirty air ducts will decrease the efficiency and effectiveness of air flow throughout your home. Duct cleaning can help to eliminate any debris in your ducts that could put you, your family, and your home at risk for a fire. While you are spring cleaning, why not opt to have duct cleaning as well?
- Clean vents and registers. Keeping the airways clean from dust and other particles that build up, such as pet dander, helps to improve overall efficiency and performance, and keeps the air in your home clean. Spring is a good time to clean supply vents and intake grills. Check that every register around the house is open and that air can pass freely. Furniture, rugs, and curtains shouldn’t block the input or output from the air conditioner.
Above we have reviewed some of the most important spring HVAC tips to ensure your Phoenix cooling system works for you all season.
Should you find yourself with a problem, Arizona Comfort Specialists can help. With decades of experience under our belts, as a full-service air conditioning company in the Phoenix Area, we put your home and comfort first. Contact us today.